Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Greetings from Wuhan, China

One place that I never dreamed of visiting when I was younger was Wuhan, China. I never dreamed of visiting Wuhan primarily because I had never heard of it. Well, here I am in Wuhan, China and I have to say so far the experience has been pretty good. I departed Hong Kong on May 18, 2008 and arrived in Wuhan a quick hour and a half later. The flight was nice and it was my first flight on Dragon Air. I have to say I recommend Dragon Air as the airline to fly in China.

Wuhan is a bit different than some of the other cities that I have visited in China. It is considered a tier II city and has a population of roughly 8 million. So, that should put China in perspective for you...a "medium" sized city with 8 million people...a city with 8 million people in the U.S. is huge.

I am scheduled to be here through the 4th of June, so I am definitely going to get some time to see the city. So far I have had some great food. Wuhan is in the Sichuan Province and they like their food spicy. On my first night we had some spicy crawfish (yes, real crawfish), even spicier than ones I have had down in Louisiana. I love spicy food so, I am actually enjoying the food here more than the food in Southern China (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc.). It has been a good trip thus far with only a few "interesting" stories. We had a chance to be in the middle of the 3 minutes of silence that China undertook on the 19th of May and during the evening we went down to the Yangtze river where candle balloons were released into the night sky. I have to say that I was extremely impressed with the solidarity and support that everyone was showing for the victims of the earthquake. I hope that if our country suffered such a devastating natural disaster that we would show the same solidarity. I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

I think this is the equivalent of the little guy in the U.S. "relieving" himself on your choice of car manufacturers:


This is a shot of the actual "three minutes of silence" in China - it was impressive to see a city of 8 million stop. Very impressive solidarity:


This is a shot of the candle light vigil we were part of on the Yangtze River:



No comments:

The Small Print:

No part of this blog may be reproduced or used without prior written permission.