Thursday, February 21, 2008

Your Body Will Thank You...

A few complimentary warnings from Shenzhen, courtesy of yours truly. All of those who know me will vouch that I am an adventurous eater and will try anything at least once. If you dare me to eat something I will be all over it. I love all sorts of food and have tried things that would never ever make it onto Fear Factor. I can’t even describe some of the stuff I ate in Iraq. As far as Asian food goes…I love it. I have eaten at some absolutely wonderful restaurants (nice and not so nice) in China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Japan, Philippines, etc. However, the last two meals I have had for lunch (Wednesday and Thursday) in Shenzhen, China have been absolutely some of the poorest food that I have ever had the pleasure or displeasure to taste. We ate at a restaurant (Jasmine’s) yesterday for lunch and even our local staff (Hong Kong) decried the quality of the food. Most of us accept the fact that we will have to lower our food standards when in Shenzhen; however yesterday’s meal made us reset those low standards even lower. I can’t even describe the food…bad…would be putting it mildly. Let’s put it this way…I once ate the warm brains of a dead goat (as in warm because it was just killed in front of me) and I would gladly munch on some of that rather than repeat yesterday’s meal. Now, when you usually hit a low you can only come up, right? Wrong (just ask the Memphis Grizzlies, 14-39), today’s meal ranked right up there with stuff I have vowed to never place in my mouth again. Today we ate at a place (Ming Tien) that was supposed to be a Hong Kong Café style restaurant. Well, I have eaten at a lot of Hong Kong Café restaurants over the last 12 months and I’ll just say they missed the target on this one the only thing they got right was the tacky décor. They missed the target like Citibank’s latest earnings. So, when traveling to Shenzhen avoid Jasmine’s and Ming Tien if you value your lower intestines…they will thank you for it.

No comments:

The Small Print:

No part of this blog may be reproduced or used without prior written permission.